Qualifications and training
I am committed to on-going professional training and train outside working hours to assure you of the best service.
Qualification as a childminder
I was inspected by Ofsted in April 2016 and was awarded an outstanding - yahoo!!! Please see my report here.
I fully qualified as a childminder after undertaking the following training (includes compulsory and optional training):
- enhanced CRB check for myself and those living in my house
- 12 hour Pediatric First Aid course (with Bromley College)
- Pre-briefing session for Prospective Childminders
- Introduction to Childminding Practice and the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Observing, Assessing and Planning in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Food Safety
- Safeguarding Children.
I have a professional insurance, and I am a registered Data Controller with ICO, the Information Commissioner's Office, as I process personal data.
I am a member of PACEY, the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Year, once the National ChildMinding Association NCMA.
PACEY is "a standard-setting organisation" that "promotes best practice and supports childcare professionals to deliver high standards of care and learning".
Continuous Professional Development
I update my skills by:
- attending specialised training
- reading newsletters from PACEY (magazine "The Childcare Professional"), from Lewisham Early Years department, and from Ofsted,
- referring to specialist books, for the excellent Practical EYFS Handbook by Penny Tassoni, a widely recognised early years specialist,
- accessing PACEY training including practice guides, factsheets, videos and interactive training modules.
As a bilingual childminder, I have a special interest in bilingual education and follow the research in that field.
In case of need, I have access to the following helplines:
- PACEY's members-only "24/7 Health and Wellbeing" helpline, for confidential direct support from a team of , nurses, midwives and pharmacists for issues such as health or safeguarding
- PACEY's members-only " and Early Years" helpline, for general help and advice about childcare and early years
- the NSPCC for any concern relating to possible abuse
- Lewisham Early Years unit.
I hold a 4-year degree in French literature from the University of Bordeaux (not just drinking wine, let me reassure you...), in teaching French as a foreign language.
I have developed an interest in accounting and completed two Open University courses in accounting.
I am a fluent Italian speaker (my husband is Italian), I have taught myself Spanish, I studied Latin for 7 years, and I am getting started on Mandarin as soon as I have the time! I also love an art exhibition in London on Saturday mornings...
Running my own business:
- taught one-to-one and small groups in Blackheath and Greenwich between 2002 and 20013 (adults) on a full-time basis
- managed up to 15 self-employed French teachers teaching groups or individuals for me in the area. Stopped that with birth of second baby...
- taught in Canary Wharf in investment banks 2001-2003
- taught French in companies when living in Italy
- Mount Union College, USA, teaching assistant for a year
- Greenwich University, London, taught French for 1 term while pregnant with my first baby
I also worked in the export department of a company in Italy for 2.5 years and organised a festival in Italy for a year - in the happy days of my youth!!